Wednesday 24 August 2016

Mac Retro Matte Liquid Lipsticks - I'm Still Only Using Liquid Lipsticks

I recently bought a couple more of Mac's Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolours from the Duty Free (the only positive part about the airport experience), so I figured I'd do a post about them, as they are rather lovely.

I've been riding the liquid lipstick train for about a year now and have had no desire to get off. I always get perfect lips with not too much effort, as long as I first line my lips with a neutral shade (my go to being Mac's Boldly Bare). Real lipstick seems like way too much effort now. I also get to fake that my lips are bigger than they are with matte shades.

The mac formula smells like almonds (which is great), and applies slightly drier than the other liquid lipsticks I use (MUA, Sleek, Kat Von D, Nyx), this is not a bad thing, though. Instead of feeling like a thick layer of liquid on the lips that dries to a slightly crusty matte, they apply and dry really comfortably, feeling nicer during the day. They wear really well, the only enemy being greasy food, and then, only the centre of the lips fades away. They retail for £21, so quite a bit more pricey than the MUA and Sleek ones that are my go to, but the formula is nice enough for me to justify it. Also, the range of colours is really good.


From Left to Right: High Drama, Dance With Me, Feels So Grand, Rich And Restless


High Drama


High Drama: This colour applies the most patchily out of the ones I have, but that can be attributed to it being super dark. Two coats does the job, three if you are doing close up, flash photography. Honestly, one looks fine in person if you apply it carefully. This colour is great if you don't have time to do much else to the rest of your makeup; it makes a look. I'm going to be wearing this all Autumn.


Dance With Me


Dance With Me: This is my favourite (possible of all my lip colours). It's a slightly darker, blood red, but not too dark to steal attention from the rest of the makeup, but dark enough to make a big impression on it's own. Again, a tad patchy, but fine for real life.


Feels So Grand


Feels So Grand: This is a perfect daytime red. It's just a bit brighter than a typical red that I would use (I always tend towards darker shades). This is a great standard red, that's not too intimidating. It also applied perfectly with one coat.


Rich And Restless


Rich And Restless: This is a beautiful peach shade that looks incredible with tanned, bronzed skin. England is actually having some Summer at the moment (meaning I'm sweating it out in my room with all the windows open), so this is a perfect shade to wear. It also complements strong eyes really nicely. I would say this needs two coats to look good in person, which very bright shades often need.

Overall, I really like Mac's contribution to the Liquid Lipstick game. They just feel so much nicer during the day and actually layer really well, rather than getting really crusty upon reapplication. They are pretty expensive though, so if you're near an airport, take advantage of that Duty Free, otherwise, see it as an investment piece and get yourself a damn good red.

No comments:

Post a Comment