Tuesday 8 July 2014

Prom Make Up - Another of my Beautiful Friends

My lovely friend Megan recently had her Year 13 Prom, which is the last year before University. It's an event to say goodbye to your school, your teachers and all those people you intend on un-friending from Facebook once you get to Uni. Most people are over eighteen so everyone drinks, like a whole lot - the teachers more than anyone. Because nothing says goodbye like passionately professing your love for someone you haven't talked to all year.

Megan didn't want anything to extreme, but also something that wasn't too 'prom'. We had a Prom post-GCSE's where everyone wore their satin and bejewelled dresses, this Prom is more inclined towards party dresses. The make up has to be similarly themed. For my GCSE Prom I had a neutral eye with a soft pink lip, for my A level Prom I had blue glitter on my eyes and an orange lip gloss - you get the idea.

So, considering Megan's eye shape which always proves a challenge for me (and I can't nail down exactly why), I wanted something heavy on the eye liner and light on everything else. This make up was a process for me, but I'm happy with how it came out and Megan looks gorgeous (it would be hard for her not to).
I started with lightly brushing Cork by Mac on the outer corners of the eyes, not so much in the crease because of the shape of her eyes. I then patted Inglot's Body Sparkles in 71 all over the lid (I'm overusing this at the moment, so sue me). I then did a cat eye with a liquid liner. Whilst waiting for this to dry, I ran some Cork through her brows, very softly. I then decided what was best was to line underneath the bottom lashes with a liquid liner, giving a very sharp line, versus using a pencil liner. I then completed it by using Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencil in Black Bean on the waterline and setting it with a black eye shadow (I used one by Inglot). Now happy with how the eyes looked I piled on mascara - to compete with the heavy eye liner - and applied a pair of simple Eylure lashes.
 Megan's skin is lovely, so I used a light foundation, just to even the skin tone. I then applied Sleek's Blush by 3 in OC to the apple's of her cheeks, with my own cheeks I usually pull the colour up to the sides of my face, but for Megan I kept it central. I then finished with Mac's Prep and Prime Finishing Powder. For the lips I just smudged Rimmel's Kate Moss Lipstick in 22 onto them, just giving a slight hint of colour that can wear off happily and prettily through the night.
 For the hair I used a 1 inch curler (my medium sized one) and alternated the direction of the curls, so that they won't sit in each other and flatten the look. I wanted something fun and flirty. I also added volume to the roots using Tressemé's Plumping Powder and back combing with a tail comb. I then got Megan to run her fingers through the curls to loosen them and messy up the look. This style is one meant to be messed about with.

Overall I was very happy with how the look turned out and I think Megan looked gorgeous. She also made her own Prom dress, how cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment